The idea of a bucket list was made popular by Jack Nickolson and Morgan Freeman in a movie appropriately named, The Bucket List. I however proudly confess that I was an early adopter of the bucket list idea. As a kid, I used to dream of accomplishing things that in hindsight seem a bit crazy. I wrote out a list when I was twelve that included things like running the Iditarod, climbing K2 and playing in the NFL. Needless to say, I fell short of accomplishing most of those things.
After moving to Nepal in my mid-twenties, I sat down and wrote a second bucket list with dreams that seemed to fit me a bit more. Now that I am in my early thirties, I thought it appropriate to write out a new bucket list and share it with you. The following are things I hope to accomplish before I “kick the bucket.”
1. Visit 6 of the 7 continents (forget Antarctica!) – 4 down, 2 to do
Camp overnight on the Great Wall of China
4. Get upgraded to business or first class
5. Summit a peak in the Himalaya Mountains
Hike to Everest Base Camp
Visit Scotland, home of my ancestors
Complete a Masters degree
9. Drive across the US with my beautiful wife, daughter and our great dane Sadie
10. Visit the legendary San Diego Zoo
Run a marathon
Visit Lhasa, Tibet
13. Live and work in Tibet for an extended time.
14. Take my wife to Beijing and the Great Wall of China
15. See the towns, people and desert of Saudi Arabia
16. Take a trip to the remote island of Socotra, Yemen
Take the train to Lhasa – highest train in the world.
Ride a motorcycle around Thailand
19. Attend an event at the Summer Olympic Games
20. Attend the Oaks or Kentucky Derby
21. Stay overnight on a canal boat in Amsterdam
Ride a horse
23. Write a book that needs to be written
24. Take my wife on her dream vacation- Australia
Visit the Taj Mahal in Agra, India26. Go sailing overnight in a sailboat
Beat cancer! 28.
Eat at 610 Magnolia in Louisville – Thanks Matthew!
29. Learn to cook well
31. Complete a doctorate degree – Started one!
32. Become fluent in a second language
33. Read biographies on all 50 US presidents
34. Learn to play a musical instrument
35. Start an international church in a global city